This Man Showed Up At The ER With A Massive Tapeworm After Eating Sushi
You love your sushi, but you may find that spicy salmon roll a little less drool-worthy after this cringe-inducing story. Let’s hope you’re not eating lunch right now.
A man from Fresno, California recently went to the emergency room asking for “worm treatment,” reported ABC30 Action News. Apparently, he had some digestive woes, like bloody diarrhea. Then he also said—wait for it—he felt like something was “dangling from his rectum,” the emergency doctor at the Community Regional Medical Center, Kenny Banh, M.D., recalls. “And he thinks it’s very odd. He doesn’t get it until he pulls it out, and then it wiggles and he drops it and is like oh. It’s a worm."
If that wasn’t bad enoughthe tapeworm was five and a half FEET long.Let that sink in for a moment.
(Want the day’s biggest news and trending stories delivered to your inbox? Sign up for our "So This Happened" newsletter.)
Apparently, the man told the doctor that he eats salmon sashimi daily from various local sushi spots. Because of the size of the tapeworm, Banh noted that it probably had been growing for at least six months.
The news story shows images of the tapeworm laid out on a couple paper towels—and it’s just as gross as you’d expect. (Look at your own risk!)
Related: A Woman Had EIGHT of These Mini-Monsters Lodged in Her Brain
The sushi-parasite connection is real, folks. You can get worms, or parasites, from eating raw or undercooked fish or squid, according to the Centers for Disease Control. If you eat infected fish, you also get a dose of larvae, which then take over your digestive tract. The CDC points out that in one specific type of disease called Anisakiasis, people may feel tingling when eating the sushi, which is an indication that a worm is moving around in your mouth or throat. (Ew, we know.)
Luckily, getting a parasite from sushi is very rare, says Todd Nega, MD, infectious disease physician at NorthShore University HealthSystem near Chicago. "Most sushi, even when labeled as fresh, is flash frozen, which usually kills the worms," he adds. (Your greatest risk is if you, say, go on an Alaskan vacation and eat raw salmon straight from the water. But, that's probably not something you're doing on the regular anyway.)
A study inBMJ Case Reportsin 2019 points out that cases of Anisakiasis is on the rise in Western countries as more people are eating sushi. The research chronicled the case of a 32-year-old man who had severe stomach pain, vomiting, and a low-grade fever. He said that he recently ate sushi. Tests found he had a parasite. Typically, Anisakiasis is treated by removing the worm.
Watch a hot doctor explain why that stubborn bruise won't heal:
Related: This Photo Reveals What Carrie Underwood Looks Like After Devastating Injury To Her Face
"Cooked fish is always better than raw," says Nega, "but if it's raw you can ask the sushi spot if the fish was flash frozen." Still, he says, even when fish isn't flash frozen, the odds of something like this happening to you is still very, very low.
Video: The Legless Lizard | Sex Sent Me to the ER
Meghan Markle Brings the House Down with Her Speech About Womens Suffrage
How to Catch a Crayfish
Found: A Perfect Varsity Jacket in a Comfortable SweatshirtFabric
How to Find a Junkyard
Taylor Swifts New Favourite Trend Is All About Self-Love
8 Ingenious Cooking Gadgets
How to Melt Hershey Kisses
Scary News About STDs
How to Fold Clothes for Travel